Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Beginning my writing journal

Today I am beginning my writing journal for EDUC815 Research Writing. I am not sure yet how the final blog will look, but I know it will grow as I work. The purpose of this writing journal is to develop a written record of my learning and the thoughts, insights, and connections that I make during this coursework. Through this writing journal I will document my growth in scholarly writing. Scholarly writing is the presentation of distinct points on a particular topic. It is peer-reviewed, referenced and thoroughly edited and revised. The major genres of scholarly writing that will be featured in this journal include an annotated bibliography, a grant proposal, a poster presentation, and a professional literature review.

My first task today was to write my Writing Plan for the assignments in this course. In order to complete this, I found I had to create a calendar for the entire summer, blocking out readings and major assignments for each week in conjunction with my daily teaching schedule and commitments. My biggest concern was to make sure I planned ahead well enough so I could be completely free for several days around my daughter's wedding. Putting all of the assignments on the calendar helped to alleviate some of the stress I was feeling. I was able to plan the writing assignments for the class to take advantage of overlap in the projects.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie

    I am now a Mary Klinger follower! I look forward to growing with you in this new way communicating progress towards your goal - the dissertation. I see your community is already starting to grow. Good deal. Your plan of action was received, reviewed and accepted. Dr. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I think you can begin focusing on rubric criteria 8 by adding additional sections to continue your posting by organizing pages for assignment entries.


    8. Entries related to course objectives

    Entries clearly related to any relevant course work, theories or work in field research setting

    Match of the content and outcomes of the journal to course objectives, learning outcomes, or purposes that the journal is intended to fulfill (e.g. showcase and track writing performance for the four (4) writing genres (types): annotated bibliography, literature review, grant proposal and the research poster)

    Includes links or page for each type of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Mary,

    Your are now ready to focus on Rubric criteria 8. Entries related to course objectives

    Entries clearly related to any relevant course work, theories or work in field research setting
    Match of the content and outcomes of the journal to course objectives, learning outcomes, or purposes that the journal is intended to fulfill (e.g. showcase and track writing performance for the four (4) writing genres (types): annotated bibliography, literature review, grant proposal and the research poster

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary I cannot locate your other pages for assignments and reflections:) Please update.

    ReplyDelete